Mackinac Island

Connection to Mackinac Island

In 1781, after being appointed governor-general of the Fort Michilimackinac area (which included Mackinac Island), Patrick Sinclair had a new limestone fort built on a hill top of the Island. This gave the British a better vantage point for their cannons to protect the Straits of Mackinac. Sinclair was the same person who had Fort Sinclair constructed in what is now the City of St. Clair in 1764-65.